Thursday, August 11

How do Students Use Technology?

Students Love Technology
Via: OnlineEducation.net



According to one survey only 8% of students use social sites to contact their teachers. Most seem to use e-mail (91%) to seek extra help from teachers. Well, if that is the case (here, too!), then e-mail is certainly still an important e-learning tool.  

Interestingly, 38% said they (students) couldn’t even go 10 minutes without switching on some sort of electronic device. That does not surprise me as I am typing this post! Also, I am surprised to learn based on this infographic that students spend more time texting messages and searching compared to Facebooking. I suppose Google will be happy with that (For now!).

3 out of 4 students say they wouldn't be able to study without technology. I would like to know how those other 1 out of 4 students are able to study effectively without technology. We could certainly learn some creative techniques from them. Check out the rest (infographic above)!

Well, that is how students in the USA use technology! What about in your country (or institution)? Any input to share? Need to do a survey on this soon... :)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Interesting! I'm doing a survey on learners' Web 2.0 literacy in higher education, particularly to find out if learners are ready for learning autonomy in PLE. Hope to get some useful data similar to the one you share here. :)

ZaidLearn said...

Good luck! It will be interesting to see how that research turns out!

Have fun with your blog, too :)

Warm Regards,

Zaid

Maria Teresa Gomez said...

Hi Zaid: In 2009, I followed in Facebook 36 of my undergraduate students at Jose Maria Vargas University in Caracas to study if they use the tool with academic purposes. It turned out that only 2.5% inteacted with other students and teachers with academic purposes.

Paula said...

You have great perception and I will definitely be reading your other Blogs! Actually I am writing my uk writing project and getting important points from different blogs and forums and This is my pleasure to being here on this blog..